It is time for sharing our poem for Week 22 with a theme focusing on "A Kinder Gentler Place." Our sample poem for the week comes from Fourth Grade and is a compelling look at a difficult topic, bullying. Here is just an excerpt from this powerful poem.
Poem for a Bully
by Eileen Spinelli
Somewhere deep inside you
there’s a softer, kinder place.
I know this will surprise you—
but I’ve seen it in your face.
I wish that you would take a step—
a small, but brave one too—
and look inside yourself to find
the good I see in you.
[Look for the rest of the poem on p. 208 in the book, The Poetry Friday Anthology available here.]
Take 5 Activities
1. Before reading this poem (in a soft voice), point out to students that many poems are funny, but some are serious—like this one.
2. Share the poem aloud again and this time invite students to read the last line together.
3. For discussion: How do we help each other be our best selves?
4. In this lyrical poem, the poet is reaching out to the reader. What details reveal the poet’s hopes? What thoughts or emotions does the poem prompt in us?
5. Combine this poem with “The Bully” by Guadalupe Garcia McCall (5th Grade, Week 22).
The wonderful people at Teaching Authors are hosting Poetry Friday this week. See you there!